Comfort and weight are two things that need to be taken into account when shopping for motorcycle helmets. However, the two don’t necessarily have to go together. There are many moderately heavy helmets that are comfortable, and several lightweight helmets that cause discomfort. This list consists of helmets that possess both qualities. Here are the top 10 most comfortable motorcycle helmets.
X-Lite X-1004 Ultra Carbon Modular Helmet
This helmet is at the top of the 10 most comfortable motorcycle helmets that you can buy. It has a dual homologated visor (meaning you can wear it open or closed). It also has UV ray protection as well as three settings for the visor. The chin guard can be operated with a single hand and has extra space for a microphone if you fit a Bluetooth set inside.
The ventilation is also great. The chin vent has a slider that takes the air directly to the back of the visor to keep the fog out.
- The chin guard vent allows for great airflow
- The inner padding allows for maximum comfort
- The sun visor protects against UV rays.
- The airflow allows for decreased stability at high speeds
AGV Sportmodular Carbon Adjustable Helmet
At nearly 2.85 lbs or 1295 grams, it’s a pretty light helmet. It’s constructed with carbon fiber and has the same great aerodynamic design as the Pista GP-R helmet. However, it’s much more comfortable because of the padding used. The cool and warm interior is such a pleasure to wear.
The cherry on top of all this is the great ventilation that it is equipped with. The carbon fiber construction makes the helmet tough and lightweight. The anti-fog lens included with the helmet also makes it a very functional helmet to wear on misty nights.
- The helmet is ECE and DOT approved
- It has very comfortable padding which fits a variety of heads and faces
- Rear spoiler smoothes out turbulence
- It’s very expensive
- The rain can sometimes come through the front vent when it’s open
- The chin bar mechanism has trouble latching shut at times
Shark Race-R Pro Carbon Sport Helmet
While this helmet looks like something out a Jurassic Park gift shop, it’s very well-constructed. Apart from its colorful profile, it’s got one of the most comfortable inner linings. Anti-bacterial and sweat-resistant though it is, it also provides a lot of padding.
There are four air-scoops for air ventilation. There is an integrated anti-pollution air filter. The 2 top vents and 7 extractors make the airflow even better. There are three settings for the visor including close, half open and fully open. This helps to improve usability and comfort.
- Lightweight carbon fiber shell
- 4.5 dB quieter than the standard Race-R Pro in the wind tunnel tests
- The Shark Easy Fit glasses system is built-in for better comfort
- A pre-fitted system to accommodate all types of glasses
- Not among the lightest of helmets with a 1250 gram weight
- The increased airflow in the helmet sometimes causes turbulence at very high speeds
Arai RX-7V RC Carbon Sport Helmet
This helmet features a carbon fiber composite shell which helps to disperse energy loads across the surface of the shell. The diffusers are nearly 20 mm long and the vents have greater adjustability due to the triple settings. Closed, half-open, and open; these settings improve usability, but also decrease noise and water intrusion.
The chin curtain which is attached to the bottom of the helmet helps to accentuate the egg shape form. Air intrusion is also blocked so that turbulence is avoided. Improved airflow thus reduces noise further.
- Breath guard and chin curtain included for comfort
- Emergency Release System guarantees quick removal of the helmet
- The antimicrobial lining helps avoid any infection
- The mechanism of the visor jams sometimes
- The side exhaust and neck exhaust sometimes lets in too much air
AGV Sport Helmet Pista GP-R
This looks like something out of an old racing almanac. That’s because it is a helmet for racing. Made out of Carbon Fiber, the helmet is available in both medium and large sizes depending on your head size. The ergonomic design improves ventilation and the aerodynamics of the helmet allow for better stability in turbulence. At just 1295 grams, it’s one of the lightest helmets around and affords great stability in spite of its lightweight.
Not only is it DOT approved and ECE approved, but it also has an anti-fog lens.
- Very lightweight
- Easy to carry
- Comfortable on the inside due to luxurious padding
- The Chinstrap is set far back and the padding moves off it leading to chafing
- The chin bar has a problem latching shut sometimes
- The visor mechanism is a little stiff
X-Lite X-803 Ultra Carbon Sport Helmet
This one weighs in at nearly 1249 grams. However, it has a carbon fiber cap which is much more aerodynamic than its previous iteration, the X-802RR. The inner padding is constructed with active carbon filaments so that your head is extra secure during falls. It’s one of the lightest sports helmets out there.
The chin is extended for better comfort and the large field of view is afforded by the ultra-wide visor. It even features a quick-change option. The cheek pads are available for the best fit of the helmet for any race.
- The double D chinstrap is very useful for stabilizing the helmet
- The ventilation shafts in the front and back allow for great airflow
- The Carbon fiber design affords great protection from falls and blows to the head
- The emergency release system allows for quick removal
- Noise isolation could be better
- Heavy traffic requires the use of earplugs
Nolan N100-5 Flip Up
The latest version of the Nolan N100-5 is even wider and bigger to help accommodate all types of heads and shapes. It’s got an improved visor which has 4 different settings. The activation system button helps you raise the sun visor and the anti-fog lens comes pre-installed. The chin bar comes with extra security so that it doesn’t open during a fall.
The helmet comes with a dual homologation certification. All that means is that it’s approved for safety as a full face and open face helmet. That too, along with being one of the most comfortable helmets you can buy.
- Adjustable neckroll with an elastic band
- Noise resistant even in extreme turbulence
- A mesh which allows for air to offer better internal cooling
- There are only 2 shell sizes available
- Possible cheek pad anchor failures
Scorpion Exo-1400 Carbon Air Touring Helmet
At 1313 grams, this helmet is very light, especially for a carbon fiber construction. There is a mechanism inside which inflates the padding for cheeks. This helps the helmet fit many types of face shapes. The visor is also integrated with sunscreen and comes with smoke resistance as well.
- The Double-D fastener makes the helmet very secure and stable on the rider’s head
- Interior is shaped to fit glasses
- Increased airflow makes it a great choice for hot weather
- A little noisier than other helmets in its class
- Mesh of the liner at the top of the visor is a bit too tight; presses on the head when it should be softer
This is not only a comfortable helmet, but a crash helmet constructed with all the cushioning needed for a blow to the head. It’s only 1400 g which is midway between light and heavy. Once you put the lid on you’ll never notice though. The helmet is a comfortable fit because of its shape and padding. The liner material on top is suede-like which adds luxury to it.
- Very affordable
- Chin curtain provides extra noise isolation
- The intuitive locking mechanism allows for quick changing of visors
- May require earplugs when in heavy traffic
- Certain head shapes are not very well adjusted in the helmet
Scorpion EXO ADX1 AT950
The name Scorpion EXO ADX1 AT950 is a mouthful. However, its futuristic design makes it worth the investment. It’s got such a great frame. Plus the visor lifts like it’s straight out of a video game. It’s a helmet built for both comfort and safety. It is DOT certified in the US and ECE certified in Europe.
It’s made of polycarbonate, which makes it light, about 1.8 kg. Now that may not seem very light to most, but for the cushioning that it’s giving to you, it’s amazing. The ventilation on the helmet is great too, despite only having a single chin and crown vent.
- The internal sun visor provides extra protection from UV rays
- The slider on the chin vent allows for great control of airflow
- The non-removable chin bar filter makes the helmet a little uncomfortable.
This list will help you select the perfect helmet for comfort while riding motorcycles.