Half face helmets, or half helmets, are exactly what the name suggests, helmets that cover half the face. They are popular for the increased aeration they provide. However, they also have a retro appeal. They look like the earliest helmets worn by pilots during the early 20th century. They also were considered to be standard wear for racers at one point. However, they are now mostly confined to enthusiasts rather than professional racers.
Here are the 10 best half helmets for motorcycles.
Sniper M14 Half Helmet with Retractable Shield
This is what some would call the perfect half helmet for motorcycle riders. It deserves to be first on this list because of its minimalist design alone. It not only has great aerodynamics, but it also has a cool retractable shield to go with it. The built-in shield protects you from all sorts of bugs and trash that can come your way.
The helmet features a high impact absorbing system made of expanded polystyrene. This helps protect the old noggin against heavy blows.
- The value for money is incredible, especially due to its size
- The wicking liner for moisture absorption is removable and washable
- DOT certified for safety in the US
- An optional smoke shield is also available, but it is sold separately
- The quick-release retention system helps the helmet stay on and come off very easily
- The helmet can feel small at times for above-average head sizes
TORC T55 Spec-Op
Spec-Ops brings to mind the military, Call of Duty and hi-tech machinery. In all cases, you’d be right about this helmet. It has a decidedly WWII feel to it, but one that was brought into the 21st century. It’s a clean helmet with a great paint job. More than that, it has solid construction which means you’ll be safe on the road.
The best part about this helmet is that it’s lightweight. It’s so light that you probably won’t even notice the weight. The less you notice, the longer you can be on the road in comfort. The value for money isn’t too high or too low. It’s just right, so you won’t be burning or saving any cash here.
- The drop-down visor stays out of the way when it’s flipped up
- Anti-bacterial inner lining
- Lightweight polycarbonate shell
- The drop-down visor is tricky to remove
- The sizing on the helmet rarely lines up with the sizing chart
Core Vintage Open Face Helmet
This helmet has a decidedly retro feel to it. It looks like something out of the 1960s. More specifically, it looks like something that Steve McQueen would wear if he was in his prime today. It has a much greater face cover ratio than most half-helmets. It can, more accurately, be described as a ¾ helmet.
The exterior of this helmet is covered with automotive-grade paint. This means that it has increased durability and scratch resistance. It also meets the DOT standards for safety; hence it’s a great helmet to have on the open road.
- The nylon liner inside helps to encourage airflow
- Exceeds current DOT standards for safety
- The snaps that hold the visor have been known to be weak
- The overly round design doesn’t fit many head shapes
LS2 Helmet HH568
This is a very low profile and an unassuming helmet. However, riders flock to it because of its retro feel. That alone makes it one of the best half helmets for motorcycles. It has a decidedly 60s feel to it, not just because it resembles the helmet of Speed Racer.
It includes a visor to keep the sun out and a zippered neck skirt to keep out the cold air. This is a helmet that is great for both summer and winter.
- Adjustable forehead vents keep you cool on warm days
- The adjustable chin strap makes it easy to put on and take off
- The helmet may restrict vision for those with small heads
- Outer shell tends to scratch a little too easily
AHR Motorcycle Half Face Helmet
This helmet is one of the best value-for-money offerings on the market right now. It’s lightweight but has a solid ABS shell. It also has a high-density buffer layer for high impact landings or blows.
The sizes that are available technically fit all common head sizes. The adjustable chinstrap helps to adjust to most head sizes as well.
- Great value for money; you can purchase two for a friend at this price
- High-quality ABS shell
- A removable visor helps to protect against the sun, debris, and bugs
- Neck protection is minimal
ILM Motorcycle Half Helmet
This helmet has a classic look and fits both men and women. The premium venting reduces heat on particularly warm days. The integrated drop-down visor helps to keep away bugs and debris. It also helps block out the sun on particularly sunny days.
- The drop-down visor is removable and replaceable
- The quick-release chin strap helps to detach the helmet quickly
- One of the lighter helmets that you can buy at 2.55 pounds
- The round shape of the helmet may make it an odd fit for some head shapes
YEMA Open Face Helmet
The YEMA helmet may be one of the heavier helmets on this list, but it’s very comfortable. It features a clean and odor-free liner which is removable and washable. It has a removable sun visor system that allows for multiple replacements. It also has a multi-density EPS system with a quick-release buckle.
- Exceeds DOT standards
- Very fashionable and futuristic design
- Aerodynamic ABS Shell
- Fully adjustable ventilation system with a built-in slider
- The increased ventilation may make it susceptible to higher levels of noise
- Heavy helmet at 4.15 pounds
GLX Motorcycle Street Cruiser Helmet
This helmet features two retractable visors; one with a clear and the other with a smoke-tinted finish. It also features a very minimalist and classic design. It’s particularly sturdy with impact-resistant EPS foam. The inner lining is also removable and washable for easy cleaning.
The chinstrap is adjustable and the quick-release system allows for quick removal in tough situations.
- Very lightweight at 2.1 pounds
- DOT certified for safety standards
- The extra rounded shape may make it an odd fit for some head shapes
1Storm Modular Open Face Helmet
This helmet has a futuristic feel to it, like a pilot’s helmet or something out of Tron Legacy. You can lift the visor and still enjoy great protection. What’s more, it has built-in sunglasses which make you look like an aviator. This is part of the dual-lens system. The shades are tinted to help you navigate in the brightest of sunlight.
The visor is also pretty great, able to shut out all kinds of bugs and plants that may hit you in the face. More than that, there is a great choice of colors and patterns that you can get with this helmet. It also has one of the more affordable price tags on the list. These features make it one of the top 10 motorcycle half helmets of 2019.
- Great variety in design
- Dual lens system allows you to ride with the visor closed and open
- UV coating helps block out harmful rays
- Lenses have an anti-fog coating
- Certain head shapes may find this an odd fit
- The outer visor may feel subpar at times; it has been known to break easily
TORC T50 Route 66 Half Helmet
Since the theme for this list has been Retro, let’s close it out with one retro looking helmet. This one has a paint job that looks like a Hell’s Angels aircraft. It has a very cushy inner lining made out of faux-suede. It’s also a bargain, which offers all the protection of a full-face version at a lower cost than most other half helmets.
- Unmatched comfort due to the faux suede liner
- Padded chinstrap secures the helmet to the head tightly
- Great paint job
- Low price point
- Much noisier helmet than the rest on this list
- Bulkier than you’d expect for the ¾ face helmet design
These helmets are all great for the motorcycle enthusiast in you. They all let you feel the wind on your face while offering all the protection of a full-face helmet. Choose any one and you’ll make a great choice.